Please note: this is a used and modified bass
KSD= Ken Smith Design
Recreating the magic from the 60's and 70's Vintage Basses, Ken Smith is pleased to introduce the KSD Proto-J series. Drawing on his many years of experience as a studio professional in New York City and as a world class Luthier, Ken Smith designed the Proto-J series to meet the demands of Professional Bassists around the world. Ken incorporated many of the features found on his U.S. Basses into a design that is familiar and recognizable to many Bassists.
This a 705 model (or 70’s, 5 string model). With a swamp ash body and a maple neck, this bass delivers a punchy and powerful sound. The long scale (35”) is responsible for an amazingly tight and loud low B.
The onboard 2 band Active/Passive preamp allows you boost or cut the lows and highs, and should be enough for some basic tone shaping.
This bass was originally fretted but the maple board was replaced by a professional luthier by a really nice piece of ebony with a cool grain.
Other improvements are:
- Two bakelite reinforcement bars between the neck and the fingerboard
- Carbon fibre nut (way better than the stock plastic one)
- Larger and more effective bolts for the neck
- Improved pickup height adjustment system
- Minor mod on the bridge to better take low B strings
- Side lines to help with intonation while keeping a clean fingerboard
KSD 705 Fretless