This Musicman Stingray Special is not just one more model within the classic Stingray model. It is actually the new official Stingray. It features so many improvements and updates that Ernie Ball decided this would be the new standard, and we couldn't agree more.
These are the most significant upgrades:
- Rounded body edges: apart from being more comfortable to play, it is also lighter in weight. Special attention is also paid to wood selection for the body, using only lightweight ash and addressing one of the traditional complains amongst Stingray users: the weight.
- New lighter and improved machineheads: with a lightweight bass such as this one, you need light tuners if you want to avoid neck diving. Also these are a notch above traditional tuners and show excellent mechanics and feel.
- Roasted neck: the neck wood is thermally treated so that humid content is drastically reduced, making the neck much more stable. At the same time, it makes the bass look just great, similar to those old vintage basses that we all love.
- New neodymium humbucker pickup: you get the traditional Stingray tone but with more punch and a fuller sound. We love it.
- New 18 Volt 3 band preamp: with a new pickup you need a new preamp too. All 3 bands have been redisgned to make the most of the pickup and the result is awesome. Deeper lows, fuller sounding mids and softer highs. Absolutely brilliant. The extra headroom you get from a 18 volt preamp will come in handy when you need to bring all the power and low end from this bass.
To sum up: a classic reinvented and improved. Our favourite Stingray so far.
As you can see in the pictures, this is the 5 string twin humbucker pickup model.
The low B is full and tight sounding.
The neck is really comfortable. Actually this is one of the easiest to play 5's in the market as well as one of the most accepted, even in environments where a 4 string would be the norm.
The smart switching system lets you get a classic Stingray tone when you use the bridge piuckup alone in Paralle mode. Then you get 4 more excellent sounds that make this a very versatile bass. All 5 sounds are excellent. JHust dial in the one yoyu need for each musical setting and you are good to go.
First introduced in 1976, the StingRay has been revered as one of the most iconic bass guitars in history. The StingRay was the first production four string bass to feature onboard active equalization. The flagship of the Music Man line, today's StingRay is the same as it was some forty years ago, featuring a solid roadworthy construction, elegant oval pickguard, 3+1 tuning key configuration, and the ever-popular Music Man humbucker -- all of which combine to produce a look, feel, and sound that is remarkably unmistakable.
STINGRAY SPECIAL HIGHLIGHTS
|13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 44-7/8" long (34.3 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 114.0 cm long)
|High gloss polyester
|Vintage Music Man® top loaded chrome plated, steel bridge plate with vintage nickel plated steel saddles
|34" (86.4 cm)
|11" (27.9 cm)
|Only 8-3/4" (22.2 cm) long
|22 - High profile, wide, Stainless Steel
|1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret
|Select roasted maple neck
|Fretted - Maple, Rosewood, or Ebony (dependent on body color)
|Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
|Standard – Natural with finished headstock
|Custom Music Man, lightweight with tapered string posts and ergonomic clover design
|Adjustable - no component or string removal
|5 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting; Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets
|Chrome or black plated aluminum control cover (dependent on body color)
|3-band active preamp with 18 volts of headroom; vol, treble, mid, bass
|Single Pickup - N/A; Dual Pickup - 5-way lever pickup selector
|Standard - Single Humbucking with Neodymium magnets; Optional - Dual Humbucking with Neodymium magnets
|45w-65w-80w-100w (Super Slinky Bass #2834)