Fender's update on their American Series of basses is really interesting. These are instruments deeply basedon the tradition but with some modern appointments that come to solve many issues. Please take note:
First of all you get Passive-Active operation, meaning you can go from an old school type of sound (Passive Tone is really handy here) to a monster Jazz Bass sound in active at the flick of a swtich. The new 3 band active preamp is an improvement over previous versions and it sounds better than ever.
Pickups are Fender N3's. These are humcancelling or noiseless Single Coils so you get the real sound and none of that annoying 60hz noise when you solo a pickup.
But wait, there's more:
- You get the choice of thru the body stringing (maximum sustain) or traditional top load (more attack)
- Graphite reinforcement bars inside the neck
- Easy access dual way truss rod
- Two string retainers at the headstock to give the strings the perfect break angle (better tuning and none of that open A strange noise anymore)
- High quality case included.
The Black finsh over alder body and the black inlays over the maple fingerboard give this bass a cool 70's style.
Oh yes, and the low B is noticeable better than in previous Fender basses.